Alt: A person looking at online marketing strategies on a tablet, symbolizing ways to use content personalization in your marketing strategy.
Buyer persona went through significant changes during the past few decades. Modern consumers do not just want to purchase products. They also want to feel appreciated by the companies whose products they enjoy. That is not a time of generic ads and emails that businesses usually send to all of their clients. It is a time when every client wants a personalized offer tailored to fit their specific requirements. With that in mind, today, we want to show you how to use content personalization in your marketing strategy.
We are going to explore a couple of different options and approaches. Furthermore, we will also show you the benefits of content personalization.
1. Identify your targeted audience
Table of Contents
It all starts with understanding your customers. Do not overlook this step. If you create a business thinking, “customers will appear if the product is good,” you could make a mistake. Every business should revolve around its clients.
At this point, you need to ask your customers the right questions. Find out what they want and how they want it. The goal is to create a buyer persona and understand your client’s needs.
2. Leverage customer data
Once you collect all of the information, you need to use it in the right way. Besides segmenting your audience, you must consider improving your product based on the findings.
You might have a good initial idea. However, customer input will tell you precisely what you need to do to make that product or service more personalized. Furthermore, this information will also be helpful down the road. Whether you want to improve customer service, drive more traffic to your blog, or increase conversions, you need to leverage customer data.
3. Plan customer journey
We can split the customer journey into a couple of stages:
- The discovery stage – this is the moment when the customer finds out about your business. That can happen through Google searches, marketing ads, or a recommendation from a friend. There are other channels, but you need to find out what those are. Therefore, you should work on your website and personalize it to meet your customer’s needs. Personalized websites have many benefits, but being user-friendly is one of the most essential.
- The consideration stage – during this stage, the customer is considering whether to purchase your product or not. If you did your homework and analyzed customer data, you should have everything you need to understand how to help them to make the purchase. Keep in mind that this is the moment when they are comparing your business with other options. If you offer them a personalized solution for their issues, you will not lose them to the competition.
- The purchase stage – if you did everything right, your conversions should quickly increase. During the purchase stage, the customer enjoys the product. At the same time, they are trying to decide whether to become a returning customer or not.
- The retention stage – while the customer is deciding whether to use your services again or not, you should also give your best to retain that customer. That is when you can offer a loyalty program, inquire about how satisfied they are, or try to upsell based on customer data.
- The advocacy stage – once you have loyal customers, they will also become the advocates of your business. That will lead to word-of-mouth advertising, personal recommendations, and many other tremendous benefits. Even during this stage, you should maintain communication with clients and use customer data to improve customer experience.
4. Improve customer interactions
Communication with customers is often very generalized. One company can have thousands, if not hundreds, of thousands or millions of customers. A specific generic communication form needs to exist, and that is where the problem happens. Customers today want more than a generic reply. Therefore, you should use content personalization in your marketing strategy beyond just using the client’s name and apply a humanized approach.
Try to emphasize human relations in your communications whenever you reach out to a client, or they reach back. The online world can be icy and impersonal, and we must change that quickly. Consider adding a photo of the customer support agent and making the conversation more friendly and packed with emotions. It needs to go beyond the transactional relationship.
5. Personalize your content
We spoke at the beginning about how you should not create a product and then see who is interested in it, but instead, define your targeted audience and build a product around their needs. That is the approach you should take with all the content you create. By adding a personalized note to your content, you will have a higher chance of attracting relevant clients.
Furthermore, you need to think about SEO as well. One of the most common mistakes is to choose irrelevant keywords. If you think about personalization and optimize your content based on the client’s needs, your SEO will also attract organic traffic.
6. Make use of targeted landing pages
We can apply the same logic to landing pages. If you create one generic landing page and serve it to multiple groups of segmented audiences, it will not perform most efficiently.
Each audience group should see a different landing page optimized based on their interests. Conversion experts behind Convert More argue that this is crucial because your conversion rate depends on the landing page’s success.
7. Monitor customer behavior
The only reason why you should monitor customer behavior is to notice if there is any change in their habits. When that happens, you will also need to optimize your marketing strategy to reflect that change. The entire process is very dynamic, and it requires constant change.
Final words of content personalization in your marketing strategy
Using content personalization in your marketing strategy opens many doors. The future of any business lies in its customers. With that in mind, you should always strive towards a personal approach. That is the only safe way to build genuine relationships with your clients.
Meta Description: Here are the best tips on using content personalization in your marketing strategy. Learn how to connect with your clients.